Hasta La Vista South America
Tick (√) off the list a tiny portion of Central/South America.
93 days spent exploring a little bit of: Costa Rica, Panama, Bolivia, Peru and Ecuador.
Which required a total of 11 flights – way too many!
- We’ve woken to Howler Monkeys and the crashing surf in Costa Rica.
- Been serenaded to sleep by nature in cloud forests.
- Soaked up the sun on the islands of Bocas del Torro.
- Watched huge tankers navigate the Panama Canal.
- Been charmed by the bowler-hat wearing Bolivians and the brightly dressed Peruvians.
- Explored the ancient trails of the Incas and the mystical ruins of Machu Picchu.
Visited the Amyara people of Lake Titicaca and trekked the Island of the Sun.
- Soared over the mysterious Nazca Lines.
- Immersed ourselves in the wild beauty of the Amazon Jungle.
- Ridden horseback to the Quilotoa Crater.
- Swam with sea lions and turtles. Marveled at the marine life in the Galápagos.
- Visited remote villages and islands of just a few hundred to major cities of millions.
- Had the privilege to catch a brief glimpse into the culture and lives of the people.
You know you’ve spent too much time in South America when you:
- automatically look for the bin to put the toilet paper in.
- alway have spare toilet paper on you and use it regularly.
- turn the shower on and wait 5 minutes before you even consider checking to see if it’s hot yet.
- stop noticing the foul taste UHT milk has in coffee.
- don’t expect the hotel to have a lift.
- expect your room in the hotel to be on the top floor.
- anything below 3,000 meters doesn’t count as ‘altitude’.
- start to realise you understand the person rattling off in Spanish.
- think Casillero del Diablo is a reasonable red wine!